Wednesday 27 June 2007

Running the Hour

Blogging is so much tougher than running. Apologies to all for this.

Well training has been going on fine. I've been running about an hour every other day of the week and playing football in between.

I'm still getting increasing marginal returns on the training I put in. Just Tuesday, I broke all three of the benchmarks I've set on my regular route to around Alresford from uni. Uni - Wivenhoe Railway Station (9min 52 sec), Ford Ln (end of route) - Uni (29 min 10 sec), Uni - Ford Ln - Uni (1 hr 1 min 54 sec). If it weren't for the slow run at the beginning I could've broke the 1 hour barrier too. I'm really glad about finishing the uni -wivenhoe trail below 10 minutes though. Been trying to pass that for some time already.


I think I'm prepared for the run this Sunday. I'm not too sure though about the distance. I was using my ruler and measuring the distance along the river to a scale on a map I found on the internet and it came up to only about 5.25km, which I think is ridiculous. If I remember correctly, one round around SS20 back home took me about 13 minutes (if I remember correctly) and that was already 2.5km or something of the sort. It'd be impossible for me to be running at half the speed I used to. Then again my methodology could've been at fault - using a ruler on the laptop screen :p

Ok let's do a bit more math - I used to clock about 5 min 30 sec for 1500metres. So I'm running at a speed of about 272m/min. Let's say I can keep that up for 10km, it would take me only +-36 minutes to complete the run. But realistically, I probably wouldn't be able to keep that up for 10km, so let's say (in the worst case scenario) I reduce my average speed by about 50% to 136m/min. At that speed it would take me 1 hour and 13 mins to run 10km.

I'm aiming to finish the run under 1 hour. I think it's realistic. We'll see on Sunday :)

No comments: